Hide panel on 2nd screen

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Fri May 4 16:22:20 BST 2012

Duncan wrote, On 05/03/2012 08:54 AM:
> Paul Check posted on Wed, 02 May 2012 20:17:09 -0400 as excerpted:
>
>> I have two screens.  Screen 0 is my main screen and screen 1 outputs to
>> a TV in a different room.  How do I hide the panel on the 2nd screen?  I
>> can't click on the panel on the 2nd screen since I can't see the screen
>> while I'm typing.  Is there a way to change some option in a config
>> file?
>
>> p.s. This is the latest kde in Debian unstable.
>
> FWIW, "latest kde in debian unstable" doesn't help much for folks on
> distributions other than debian.  4.8.2 or just coming out (today I
> think), 4.8.3, is upstream kde's latest, but I've no idea what debian
> has.  Luckily it's not critical for this question, tho.

Duncan,

FWIW,
http://packages.debian.org/sid/kde-baseapps  => 4.7.4 (apparently)
(yeah, shouldn't be up to you to figure out, but just an FYI)

> The simplest thing to do, editing with plasma not running of course and
> making a backup in case you screw up, is probably to figure out which
> container matches the panel in question, and then simply delete all
> sections with that container number.

Paul,

If you want to get fancy about it, i'd suggest pulling down the KDE Examples
plasma javascript kit and working out removing the panel programmatically
while KDE is active.

panel.remove() for the instance of the panel you find is attached to that
screen appears to be the call you want to make.

manipulatePanel.js  looks like it'll be the most helpful of those.

probably want to enumerate through all the panel instances looking for
one that has 'panel.screen = 1' or something

listingPanelsActivitiesAndAvailablePlugins.js has:

print("Panels are: ")
p = panels()
for (i in p) {
  print("    " + p[i].type + ", id = " + p[i].id + ", version = " + p[i].version + ", widgets:")
  printWidgets(p[i])
}

would be a good start for doing the testing loop.

I forget now, but you'll need to look through the dbus interface for plasma to find the
plasma "console" call to open the console interface.  It might be locatable via krunner
(<ALT>-<F2>)  by typing "console" or "plasma")  create your .js file, then load it into
the plasma console and execute (and cross fingers)

If you decide to go this route, please let me know how it goes for you.

--stephen