Hide panel on 2nd screen

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu May 3 15:54:39 BST 2012

Paul Check posted on Wed, 02 May 2012 20:17:09 -0400 as excerpted:

> I have two screens.  Screen 0 is my main screen and screen 1 outputs to
> a TV in a different room.  How do I hide the panel on the 2nd screen?  I
> can't click on the panel on the 2nd screen since I can't see the screen
> while I'm typing.  Is there a way to change some option in a config
> file?

> p.s. This is the latest kde in Debian unstable.

FWIW, "latest kde in debian unstable" doesn't help much for folks on
distributions other than debian.  4.8.2 or just coming out (today I
think), 4.8.3, is upstream kde's latest, but I've no idea what debian
has.  Luckily it's not critical for this question, tho.

Check $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc. ($KDEHOME if unset
is ~/.kde as shipped by kde, but some distros make that ~/.kde4.)

It's standard ini file format, but MUCH more complex than most ini files
you'll see.  There's a container number for each "container", with a
container being an activity (two monitors with separate wallpapers, etc,
count as two activities) or panel.  So here, I have five containers
listed, one for each monitor's activity (only one monitor-pair of
activities configured), one for each of two panels, and a fifth one that
appears to be an old one that should have been deleted but there's still
bits of it in that file.

Each container will normally have 2-3 sections of its own config, plus
multiple numbered applets. Each applet in turn has several config
sections as well.

Unfortunately, you have to kind of guess which numbers match which items,
based on configuration lines.  The main config section for an activity
container has "activity=1" for instance, and you can match up the
activity based on its geometry and on the applets it contains.  Panel
containers will have an unset activity=, and plugin=panel.  Again, check
the applets it contains to match it up to one of your actual panels.

The simplest thing to do, editing with plasma not running of course and
making a backup in case you screw up, is probably to figure out which
container matches the panel in question, and then simply delete all
sections with that container number.