Tell who did you PAY to include Akonadi?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 31 11:34:32 BST 2012

Kevin Krammer posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:45:12 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Saturday, 2012-03-31, Duncan wrote:
>> Kevin Krammer posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:53:55 +0200 as excerpted:

>> > http://www.betterinbox.com/

> Yeah, they are a pretty new startup and obviously need to prioritze.
> I was only aware of them because they are users of *and* contributors to
> email related KDE libraries.

I saw mention of that on the webpage.  That /is/ nice! =:^)

> Something we will hopefully see more often when the frameworks effort
> makes individual components more visible as stand-alone entities (which
> they often already are, just not visible as such).

FWIW, I don't believe I've mentioned it yet, but while I wasn't
particularly impressed with the kde sc rename, I do like the idea as
extended into (what I've read of) kde frameworks.  Between the greater kde
modularization and the migration of some current kdelibs functionality
into qt5 (which is from what I read itself tilting toward more
modularization), it sounds to me like a universally required kdelibs will
be much smaller, and that it's going to be a better deal for users,
distro-maintainers and kde devs all three, with more dependency
flexibility and a more explicitly specified dependency chain, which
should lead to fewer end-user visible bugs and less work trying to get
the splits right at the distro level. =:^)

If the module releases are desynchronized as well, as I've read is being
discussed, letting the modules evolve at their own rate, it could be a
good thing.  OTOH, that comes with its own issues, as I'm sure the
modular-xorg folks now talking about reintegrating can tell you.  So I'm
not sure about that bit of it but I'm not negative on it, just waiting to
see how it turns out, as of course I am for all of qt5/kde5. =:^)

>> FWIW, there's also the still fairly new "trojita".  Qt4-based, but
>> IMAP-only, unfortunately, which isn't going to help for users with
>> POP3 (and webmail, but ugh!) providers only.  As I'm in that
>> category...  But I'd be tempted if my providers did IMAP.
>
> You could use it with a local IMAP server and use system level agents
> for mail gathering, e.g. fetchmail.

I actually did think about it.  But decided that was biting off more than
I could chew at that point, especially as I wanted off kmail for 4.7.0,
which was fast approaching when I was doing my research.  Still, learning
all about running my own mail servers, MTAs (mail transfer agents), etc,
has for years been on my list of things I'd eventually like to try.  As
I've learned stuff like how to run and configure my own md/raid, ntpd,
dns, etc, and crossed it off that list, mail gets closer and closer to
the top...