Tell who did you PAY to include Akonadi?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 10:45:12 BST 2012

On Saturday, 2012-03-31, Duncan wrote:
> Kevin Krammer posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:53:55 +0200 as excerpted:
> > On Saturday, 2012-03-31, Duncan wrote:
> >> Chances are if there's not one yet, there might be one on the way.
> >> Hopefully there's someone working on a nice, solid, non-akonadified
> >> qt-based mail client, too.
> >
> > http://www.betterinbox.com/
>
> Thanks.  That's still very new and gmail-only ATM apparently, but it
> definitely looks to be worth watching, and I wasn't aware of it yet.  So
> yes indeed, thanks. =:^)

Yeah, they are a pretty new startup and obviously need to prioritze.
I was only aware of them because they are users of *and* contributors to email
related KDE libraries.

Something we will hopefully see more often when the frameworks effort makes
individual components more visible as stand-alone entities (which they often
already are, just not visible as such).

> FWIW, there's also the still fairly new "trojita".  Qt4-based, but IMAP-
> only, unfortunately, which isn't going to help for users with POP3 (and
> webmail, but ugh!) providers only.  As I'm in that category...  But I'd
> be tempted if my providers did IMAP.

You could use it with a local IMAP server and use system level agents for mail
gathering, e.g. fetchmail.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring