Clear KDE

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 31 09:51:39 BST 2012

Serginho posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:02:44 +0400 as excerpted:

> May I ask?
> The user whom I was talking to is one from the capital and we spoke not
> about OS but about cars.
> And then I knew that he uses Gentoo.
> I was excited.
> Probably his scheme is now my scheme.
> He uses Debian for server and Gentoo for notebook.
> And Gentoo with clear KDE. Only _kde_libs. No GTK+.
> Not for war.
>
> Do you prefer to use only kde apps to keep everything in one style and
> probably spirit?

I use a number of gtk+ apps and have gtk2 installed, but no gtk3 and no
gnome.

Among the gtk apps I use are firefox (browser), claws-mail (mail, feed-
reader), pan (nntp/news), and the gimp (image editor).

On the kde side, they replace konqueror as a browser (tho it's still
installed as an alternative browser), kmail for mail, akregator for
feeds, pan for news (from when I first switched to Linux, knode simply
sucks in comparison), and krita/kolourpaint (kolourpaint is still
installed and I use it, but it unfortunately doesn't deal with a full
transparency channel; krita does, but I found it unintuitive and poorly
documented compared to the gimp, and krita's dependencies were quite
heavy as well, so it's no longer installed).

The kde colorscheme settings have an option to use them for non-kde apps
as well, and with it checked gtk apps fit in well /enough/ for me.  I'd
prefer to have actually workable qt-based or kde apps instead, but for
the above, the gtk-based options are clearly better, so that's what I'm
using.

(For the browser, google's chrome isn't an option as I don't do
proprietary/servantware, and while chromium is freedomware, it's not
their main browser focus, chrome is.  By contrast, Mozilla's main focus
is the freedomware firefox.  Plus, firefox's extension ecosystem is much
more developed and mature.  Noscript was one of the big reasons I
switched, and requestpolicy is another extension I'd be hard pressed to
do without now.  AFAIK there's nothing even close to noscript's features
and proven workability over time, for chromium.)