system activity / detailed memory usage in 4.8.1 ?

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Sun Mar 18 16:09:47 GMT 2012

On Sunday, 18. March 2012 07:32:35 Duncan wrote:
> Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:45:14 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > Martin Koller writes:
> >
> >> In earlier KDE4 versions, I could look at a detailed process memory
> >> information window opened from the "system activity" process viewer
> >> window I get with Ctrl+Esc. In 4.8.1 I no longer have this option from
> >> them RMB context menu. Can anyone else see this mem-info window in
> >> 4.8.1 ? Has this been removed or what do I miss ?
> >
> > Uh, interesting, never used this before. Nice! Yes, it's available and
> > working here with KDE 4.8.1 on Gentoo Linux.
>
> I have the RMB option here (also Gentoo), but selecting it gives me this:
>

> Sorry
>
> Your system is not currently supported (/proc/<pid>/smaps was not found)

interesting.
I'm on openSuse 12.1 and my /proc has smaps files.
but:

<snip>

> A perhaps more likely possibility is that the kpart that provides that
> functionality is a part of a different kde package, and you don't happen
> to have the necessary package installed.

I was looking into the source of ksysguard and found that it can load .desktop files
which define some additional actions in the RMB.
(In the source it uses KGlobal::dirs()->findAllResources("data", "ksysguard/scripts/*/*.desktop",...)

In the rpm I have installed here (kdebase4-workspace-ksysguardd-4.8.1-729.4.i586)
there is not even the scripts directory, so the file which is obviously missing in the RPM
is smaps.desktop, which I found in ksysguard source tree.

ok, thanks for your help - I'm going to bother the openSuse packagers... ;-)

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion