system activity / detailed memory usage in 4.8.1 ?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Mar 18 06:32:35 GMT 2012

Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:45:14 +0100 as excerpted:

> Martin Koller writes:
>
>> In earlier KDE4 versions, I could look at a detailed process memory
>> information window opened from the "system activity" process viewer
>> window I get with Ctrl+Esc. In 4.8.1 I no longer have this option from
>> them RMB context menu. Can anyone else see this mem-info window in
>> 4.8.1 ? Has this been removed or what do I miss ?
>
> Uh, interesting, never used this before. Nice! Yes, it's available and
> working here with KDE 4.8.1 on Gentoo Linux.

I have the RMB option here (also Gentoo), but selecting it gives me this:

Sorry

Your system is not currently supported (/proc/<pid>/smaps was not found)

<<<<<

... where <pid> is the process-ID of the process in question.  (It still
shows a bit of the UI but no memory stats, of course.)

Indeed, the smap files in /proc/* aren't there.  However, that's because
I don't have the kernel option that turns them on
(CONFIG_PROC_PAGE_MONITOR, in the kernel config under filesystems, pseudo
filesystems, /proc file system support, enable /proc page monitoring)
enabled.

Of course gentoo lets the end user (aka gentoo system sysadmin) choose
their own kernel and set their own config.  For those running a distro
that ships pre-configured/pre-built kernels, it's possible they've turned
that off for security or other reasons.  If so, they may have patched
their kde to not offer that option since it wouldn't work anyway on the
kernel they ship.

A perhaps more likely possibility is that the kpart that provides that
functionality is a part of a different kde package, and you don't happen
to have the necessary package installed.