Hotkey to move windows to predetermined location and geometry?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Mar 14 11:28:12 GMT 2012

Duncan posted on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:12:03 +0000 as excerpted:

> Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:22:41 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 03:22, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>> 2) The scriptable solution makes use of a very handy little app called
>>> wmctrl.  You can call wmctrl with appropriate options to move and/or
>>> resize to specific coordinates, close or move to other desktops
>>> various already open windows, in a real-time manner.
>
>> Thanks, Duncan! The wmctrl does seem to be what I am looking for. I
>> installed it and tried playing with it a bit, but I could not get it do
>> affect any windows. I'll start googling around as I am certain that I
>> am missing some thing obvious.

BTW, I just found the kde-native ...

WMIface

... utility, on kde-apps.org.  (FWIW, I happened across a package
maintenance note for it in gentoo's kde overlay, where I read the the git
whatchanged log every time I update.)

This command line tool allows user scripting of the running window
manager (any EWMH-compatible window manager, including KDE's KWin,
GNOME's Metacity, Compiz and others).

It can be also used as a replacement for the wmctrl tool, which no longer
seem to be maintained. It also provides more features than just directly
mapping to the window manager specifications and as such it should be
more easy and convenient to use.

<<<<<

... tho I'm not sure about the wmctrl no longer maintained part.

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/WMIface?content=40425

Based on the comments there, wmiface appears to have been around since
the late kde3 era (since June 6, 2006 at least), but has been updated for
kde4.  I've not installed it yet (and may not, since wmctrl is working
for me, but it's tempting to try, so I may, especially since gentoo has
it in-tree), so can't say how it compares, but if wmctrl doesn't work for
you anyway, this is something else that might.

There's a bunch of distro package links, plus sources, etc, available.