kmail getting uppity again...

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Mar 9 08:38:13 GMT 2012

gene heskett posted on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:46:52 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:44:12 PM Duncan did opine:
>
>>from MSOE, back to 1997 or so.
>>
>> I really should probably spend a couple days going thru the oldest
>> stuff and deleting much of it, and I've done a bit of that, but I could
>> certainly do more.  I could probably get it down to ~300 MB or so if I
>> did.  But there's always more important, or at least more interesting,
>> stuff to do.
>
> Not much spam here, none of it lasting more than 10 minutes after
> midnight.
>
> I seem to suffer from that problem myself, Duncan.  Where might this
> script be found?

LOL!  Don't we all!

[For others that happen to come in in the middle of the conversation,
"this script" refers to a kmail -> claws-mail or more precisely maildir
to MH-dir format converter...]

>From memory... the script is on the claws-mail site, to be found listed
on the utils page.  Note that kmail has used both mbox and maildir over
the years, but mbox can be imported from claws itself (file menu), so the
only thing the script is needed for is maildir.  Meanwhile, let's see how
good that memory of the location is...

First of all, the claws-mail site.

http://www.claws-mail.org/index.php

Not directly on topic, but if you've not done so, reading the FAQ and the
manual is useful.  FWIW, the manual and a smaller FAQ is available on the
help menu directly from claws, as well.  I'm guessing some of the plugins
may be quite useful to you as well, plus the Using Claws Mail with other
programs section of the FAQ.

Looks like the page I was remembering is actually "tools", not "scripts",
but it lists a collection of a whole host of (mainly) scripts, bash, perl,
python... for various things, including address book and mailbox
conversion scripts.

http://www.claws-mail.org/tools.php?section=downloads

The download is a tarball containing the script and a README.  I either
mis-remembered or they switched it out as it's a perl script, not
python.  Of course, have the data backed up.  And be prepared for a bit
of hacking if necessary, but given the sorts of solutions I know you've
already hacked up, it shouldn't be too difficult for you.  I don't know
perl here, and was able to do it.  Unfortunately, while I remember having
to do a bit of hacking to this script as well as the one mentioned below
for addressbook import, the details I was remembering were for the
addressbook script, so you'll need to go back to my list mails closer to
when I did it to get a description of the hacks I needed for this script.

kmail-mailbox2claws-mail.pl

Another alternative, that others have used, is to upload your mail to an
IMAP server from kmail, then download it into claws mail.  One guy
reported that he didn't have a pre-made IMAP account to do that with, but
he worked around that by installing an IMAP server temporarily, using it
to do the conversion, then uninstalling it.

Another way is to install another client that can handle both maildir and
either mh or mbox, and use it to do the conversion.

Finally, there's conversion scripts for both mail and addressbook from
thunderbird.  I don't know what import facilities thunderbird has, but
can't imagine it not dealing with maildir or vcard, so it should be able
to import both, and you can then use the existing scripts to import from
it.

You may also want to try converting addressbooks.  There's a
csv2addressbook.pl script that mentions kmail, but I think I couldn't
figure out how to get akonadi to give me a csv export, so that wouldn't
work for me.

Instead I used an akonadi export command of some sort at the command line
(I don't have akonadi installed now so can't tell you what it was), that
gave me a big vcard file with everything in it.

Then I used the evolution vcard converter script to convert that to claws-
mail format:

vcard2xml.py

That must have been the python script I remembered.  Anyway, there's some
minor differences in field names between what the akonadi-exported vcard
file used, and what the evolution-conversion-script expected.  This one
actually required a bit more hacking than the other one, changing the
field names appropriately, and THIS is the one I had to fix the shebang
on as I can see it says python2.2 and it's python2.7 I have installed
here (it might have been 2.6 at the time), but it too worked, with a bit
of hacking.

The other alternative for the address book is to use claws-mail's own
vcard support.  However, while I got the addresses to show up here doing
that, they were read-only and definitely not as claws-mail "integrated"
as the native format.

One final alternative is to simply do the mail import, open saved mails
from each of your desired contacts, and use claws' own add sender to
addressbook feature.  Thus, importing contacts isn't the big deal that
importing the mail itself is, since you can simply add to addressbook
from the email, if necessary.