Why I (almost) stayed with KMail

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Jun 30 10:06:35 BST 2012

Am 30.06.2012 10:43, schrieb Jörg Stadermann:
> Am Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:14:18 +0200
> schrieb "Martin (KDE)" <kde at fahrendorf.de>:
>
>>> At that point, I decided
>>> Thunderbird is not for me. Why is this thing so popular, even in
>>> business environments? It's a toy, not more.
>>
>> Na, thunderbird is more than a toy. The basic functions in TBird are
>> limited, but that's what add-ons are for. These automatic filter stuff
>> on folders (not as great as kmails) is hidden in an additional add-on
>> called "Folder Account".
>
> And that's the problem: IMO automatic filtering is vital for a
> decent email-client. What, if the add-on is not maintained anymore, or
> the update to a newer version of TB takes too long? Agreed,
> add-ons are for expanding functionality, but vital functions
> shouldn't be delegated to community-maintained  add-ons.

I second that. But mileage may vary. There are many people out there who
do not even know what automatic filtering is (they don't even use
folders besides the default one).

Another example: I use different identities with different language
settings (this on is English others are German), but thunderbird is not
able to handle different languages for different identities. Obviously
this function is not used that much (I don't even know a add-on for this).

Martin