KMail freezes after adding address to addressbook

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 13:00:55 BST 2012

Depending on your needs you might do better to switch to another distro that offers a long term stable release and has one of the larger user bases. For instance I run opensuse 11.4 which has kde 4.6.0 release 6 and kmail 1.13.6. This is likely to be around and maintained past the release of 12.3 late this year. Providing you only use distro updates problems should be minimal. As far as I know only 3 distro's offer this facility, opensuse, ubuntu and debian. Debian stable may well be the most conservative. Pass. I've not looked lately.

As far as my kmail goes I have only one problem. From time to time it doesn't tie up with kwallet when it starts. Cured by logging out and back in to kde. Maybe once a month or longer. Duncan mentions akonodi :-) from time to time. The jury is out on that as far as my kmail is concerned. Anne took me through the checks some time ago. It may make some use of it. The only really bad point is that filters are a little silly as far as the address book is concerned as it was with kde 3 even on the last release. Part of the software just checks the actual email address but the filters also check the name tag. It finishes up in a situation where some one who has changed their name tag can't be added to the address book as it seems to look at the actual email address. Both should only check the ac
 tual email address and allow name changes to be added to the address book as duplicates etc. You might say that intellectual users use name changes to help sort their
 mail and also often to chuck out spam that fakes email addresses.

On the other hand you can choose to use cutting edge distro's but expect problems that may take a while to sort out - might never happen actually as people tend to just move on to the next release.

When I have problems I ask on here, on the kde forum or on the opensuse forum as each can gives a different flavor of solution if one is available. KDE varies from one distro to another so sometimes it's best to ask there as more people may have had the same problem.

John