Is it possible to transfer files from a laptop to a phone with kde's mtp?

Jayhel jayhel at ifmath.se
Wed Jun 27 23:34:11 BST 2012

On 06/27/2012 07:17 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On 26/06/12 11:08, Jayhel wrote:

>> Sorry - I don't understand.  Have you tried the USB Utilities (on
>> the phone) + Dolphin (on the computer) path?  This works for me
>> without any fancy footwork at all.
>>> Thank you to try to help me. What do you mean by "USB
>>> Utilities"?
>
> On the Samsung that is one section in the Settings menu.
Yes. Settings>USB connection mode. Little message from Sony: "MTP only
for internal storage"...
On most of the Android phones you have the choice between USB mass
storage mode and MTP mode. Most of the Android phone have a removable
micro SD Card, also.
The Sony Xperia X lacks the software (USB utilities as you call them) to
communicate in USB mass storage mode. The message in the Settings menu
says: "MTP only for internal storage".
Therefore, since there are no removable micro SD card but instead a
massive 25 Gig built-in internal mass storage, I have no choice but try
to have MTP working. However, the KDE implementation of MTP just allows
to read the files from the phone to the PC. It cannot write files from
the PC to the phone. I can move the pictures I took on the phone to the PC.
But I cannot move 10 Gig of music from the PC to the phone and this is
my problem.
I have received 5-6 answers to my my request besides yours. Most of them
suggest to use Bluetooth to send my music to my phone. However sending
10 Gig via Bluetooth will last several hours. I do not consider to go
that way. It is much faster to dump the 10 Gig of music stored on my
Linux PC to a USB key, transfer it to a Windoze computer, connect the
phone to the Windoze computer in MTP mode and send the 10 Gigs of music
from the Windoze PC to the phone.
All this because read/write is not enable in some KDE MTP communication
program part of camera! (Only read...)
I wish I could have met with developers of KDE on this mailing list to
fix that little problem. It seems that it is a too much exclusive club.
Meanwhile I will continue to use a Windoze computer to make the bridge
between the Sony Xperia S and Linux.
Shame on us!
Tkx to try to help me
jl