Dots in filenames and automatic file extension completion

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 26 06:46:28 BST 2012

Mirosław Zalewski posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:01:06 +0200 as excerpted:

> Unfortunately, disabling "Automatically select filename extension"
> checkbox is working system-wide, at least on 4.8.4.

Well, kde-wide.  System-wide would affect gtk dialogs, even the command
line where it could, as well, and it would affect all users.  (That's
actually a major gripe I have with kde calling kde settings system
settings, for the most part it's *NOT* system settings, but user-specific
AND kde specific.  Granted, setting the time is system-wide, and a couple
other settings, but not most of them.)

I /think/ it's that way with 4.9-rc2 as well.  Both gwenview and
kolourpaint seemed to switch in tandem, anyway, tho I wasn't really
testing that rigourously.

> Without this
> drawback, it would be nice workaround (but I have to think what is more
> frustrating - handicapped filenames in LO or being forced to type file
> extension each time).

FWIW, to me, the extension is part of the filename, so I expect to type
it.  If it happens to be right and I don't have to type it, I won't
complain, but I surely will if it starts coming up wrong and I can't set
something to have it properly ignored (which in kde, I can).

> I believe that my questions #1 and #2 are pretty much answered (but any
> other comments are welcome). Any comments about my question #3?

If libreoffice is stripping a dot-component even with the automatic...
unchecked, as your table shows, then the problem is definitely
libreoffice, as that's not native kde behavior, as both you and I have
verified now.

What appears to be happening is that libreoffice is stripping a dot-
component before it hands it off to the kde file dialog at all.  Then
it's handed to the kde file dialog, and depending on kde's auto-extension
setting, kde either leaves it as-is, or strips yet another dot-component,
because it doesn't know libreoffice has already stripped one.

That's definitely a libreoffice bug.  They simply need to move the call
to kde's file dialog before their dot-component-strip call, instead of
after it, as it appears to be now.  Then libreoffice's behavior should
match that of the rest of kde.

So that's where I'd report the bug, but be sure to tell them that
libreoffice is stripping an EXTRA dot-component as compared to kde.  That
wasn't apparent in the bug you already posted a link to.  There, it
looked like it was just kde doing what it normally does, which is why it
was closed NOTOURBUG when filed against libreoffice.

Meanwhile, if you'd like you can refer them to this thread as well, and
they can see how we tested it out.  It's possible that might work better
than trying to explain it in detail yourself across the language
barrier.  I'm a regular on the mailing list and bug-tracker of several
projects, and where I'm filing a bug (or CCing myself to a bug filed by
someone else) that was discussed on the list, I always include a link to
that discussion as well.   It certainly can't hurt to have the extra
discussion from the thread available, and if they don't need it they
don't have to go look.  FWIW, I do my lists via gmane, so do have a link
to this thread handy. =:^)

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.general/26110

Likewise, when you file the bug, please post the link to it back here as
well.  That way, if anyone else has the problem and ends up here after
googling it or whatever, they can see the bug and follow its resolution
upstream, instead of just seeing the list discussion and having to search
out the bug themselves.

So when the bug is discussed in both places, I always try to have a link
from each, to the other.  People don't have to follow the link if they
don't want to, but it sure helps if they do need the extra information.
=:^)