Dots in filenames and automatic file extension completion

Mirosław Zalewski miniopl at poczta.onet.pl
Wed Jul 25 13:01:06 BST 2012

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly (may
be my English, though).

That's true, that "Automatically select filename extension" is antoher factor
that I should have taken into account. I forgot about it, sorry. My test was
run with that checkbox enabled (which I believe is default anyway).

On 25/07/2012 at 10:09, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> a) Does LO use native desktop file-save dialogs, kde's file-save
> dialogs on kde, gtk's on gtk, and either gtk's or its own on
> bare X11?

Yes, they do. KDE file dialog on KDE Plasma, GTK file dialog on GNOME and others
(e.g. Openbox) and pure X11/their own (I'm not sure, I don't know if I have
ever seen pure X11 file dialog) when no KDE/GTK is available.

> b) For kde apps, and thus LO too if it uses native kde file dialogs
> on kde, does the suggested save-as name change, based on the
> filetype filter and/or whether the "automatically select filename
> extension" checkbox is selected in the save-as dialog?

Yes, it does change. It looks like this:
Automatic... checked?     1.2.3.4      1.2.3.4.odt
no                        1.2.3        1.2.3.4
yes                       1.2.pdf      1.2.3.pdf

(I tried "Export to PDF" function.)

For me, it looks pretty much that both KDE and LO strips extension from
filename. If I disable KDE automatic filename extension it does not strip it,
but I have one component stripped anyway.

Unfortunately, disabling "Automatically select filename extension" checkbox is
working system-wide, at least on 4.8.4. Without this drawback, it would be
nice workaround (but I have to think what is more frustrating - handicapped
filenames in LO or being forced to type file extension each time).

I believe that my questions #1 and #2 are pretty much answered (but any other
comments are welcome). Any comments about my question #3?
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski