convert to kde on Windows 7

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Tue Jul 17 13:32:34 BST 2012

Doug writes:

> I hope this message falls within the scope of the guidelines you
> published.

That's okay, but there's also a kde-windows mailing list which might be
suited better for your question:

> I want to convert to the KDE version for Windows.  However, I want to
> be absolutely sure I can get back, if it doesn't work out. (There is a
> program that was very difficult to install, and
> I don't want to ever have to do it again!  As well as other paid
> programs.) In order to do that, I would like to copy the entire Windows
> partition to an external drive. On the Windows system,
> the drive contains Win 7 plus pclos in dual-boot configuration.  Can I
> do (from the Linux partition) dd if=sda1 of=sdb and, if that is
> correct, would the external drive be bootable?

I did not use Windows > XP much, but I doubt that very much. I'd assume
that the install drive is stored somewhere, and unless you make /dev/sdb
show up as your C: drive, this won't work. Would a whole drive even show
up as such in Windows, or wouldn't it have top be a partition
like /dev/sdb1?

I'd simply do the dd command, or better something like dd if=/dev/sda1
of=/mnt/externaldrive/windows.dump so you can use the rest of the
external drive for other things. And if you want to go back, restore that
backup.

	Wonko