convert to kde on Windows 7

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Jul 17 02:07:11 BST 2012

On 07/16/2012 07:06 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Doug posted on Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:32:33 -0400 as excerpted:

>>> <yoda>   Dark the meaning of your posting is.</yoda>
>>>
>>> What exactly are you wanna do? Use KDE unter 7?
>>>
>> Yes.  I understand that you can load KDE on Windows 7.  I'm tired of
>> looking for things under the Windows GUI that MS decided I'm too stupid
>> to find.
> I haven't done MS for over a decade and I couldn't legally even if I
> wanted to, since I can't agree to the EULA so they give me no permission
> to run the software, so I don't know anything about KDE on MS from
> personal experience, but from what I've read...
>
> The full kde desktop environment is not available on MS, as it has its
> own desktop environment.  What's available are certain individual apps,
> ported to run on MS platforms, but they continue to run under the normal
> MSWormOS GUI, not the kde desktop environment you'd find on *ix.
> Basically, as qt runs on MS, they're simply qt apps, with an extra
> library (dll on MS) or two providing the necessary base kde functionality.
>
> I don't know enough about it to know what particular apps are ported, but
> it doesn't appear that's what you're after anyway.  You appear to be
> after the kde environment, on MS, and that's not available.

OK, I guess I misunderstood what KDE on Windows was about.  But--
If I could have Find Files/Folders and Konqueror (or Dolphin) file manager,
I would be a lot happier than I am now, and if KPatience were to run, I'd
be even happier yet!

Recently I've run into several situations where Windows just drives me
crazy.
1. It puts files in odd places, and their file finder can't always find
them.
2. If the file finder can find them, it won't put you in the directory where
they are so you can a) unzip them or b) attach one onto an email. It thinks
you always want to "open" the file.

Anybody know if that's on the list of stuff that runs? And where can I find
such a list?

--doug