Plasma "upside down" ...

Hans Muecke kde at filderstadtweather.eu
Sat Jul 14 12:41:54 BST 2012

Am 13.07.2012 18:51, schrieb Duncan:

Hi Duncan,

> Hans Muecke posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:44:04 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>> Howdy folks,
>>
>> Ran into a strange problem ...
>>
>> Kubuntu 12.04LTS/KDE4.8.4 ...
>>
>> For whatever reason my plasma desktop crashed yesterday. Couldn't get it
>> to come up again, so I deleted all the plasma files in the home
>> directory to start from scratch.
>> I must have done that in the "protected mode" unknowingly ... since
>> today - when trying to change one of the desktop effects - I was told
>> that I was running protected mode and should switch to the "normal"
>> plasma desktop.
>> Did as requested and ended up with an "upside down" desktop. Visually
>> everything is upside down, but buttons still seem to be where they are
>> supposed to be on the desktop (screenshots: http://goo.gl/N4tVF and
>> http://goo.gl/YjPtc ). Everything looks fine in protected mode ... minus
>> effects that is.
>>
>> Anyone have an idea what went wrong here and how to possibly correct it?
>
> That is indeed a strange problem.
>
> I have a couple ideas, but I guess you're translating from whatever
> (looks like German maybe?) to English (or maybe kubuntu changed the names

I am doing this from german ...

> from kde standard?) and the terms don't quite match what I'm used to.  So
> let's first confirm that we're talking about the same thing. =:^)
>
> 1) The thread title says plasma, and the pix look like plasma-desktop
> only.  So the first thing is to confirm, it's plasma ONLY that's
> affected, correct?  All other apps look normal?

I might have been a bit incorrect here, since I didn't have any
applications running at that moment, when I first ran into this problem.
I just started from scratch again ... deleted the plasma* files in my
home directory, rebooted and this time took care and chose the
plasma-desktop session and not the protected one (when I say protected
... I can't think of another word for "abgesichert" which is also used
when a windows crashes and gives one the choice of starting windows and
starting a protected windows ... I think you get the idea).

Started with setting up the desktop and tried to activate desktop
effects via schift-alt-f12 and bamm! Everything upside down again, the
screen flipped again, as I could tell from the control bar on the left
side of the screen and the open system-settings window. Funny "side
effect" .. while visually flipped I still had to click in the areas,
where all the buttons are supposed to be (hope you understand what I am
talking about ... :-) )

Since you mentioned OpenGL I chchanged the composite type to Xrender and
I don't the problem there (means I can activate effects without the
flipping of the screen).

> Miroslaw's idea is obviously that it's either an xorg config issue, or
> indirectly an xorg config issue, thru kde's display settings.  But if
> that was the case, all X-based apps would be affected, not just plasma.
> So if it's plasma only, that can't be it.  It's just plasma.
>
> Also, double-check other kde apps, say konqueror or dolphin, not just
> plasma.  If it's all kde apps but not other X-based apps (like say
> firefox), then it's obviously a kde or possibly a qt setting.  (If you
> have a qt4 only app that's not kde based, you can try it too, to see if
> it's all qt apps or only kde apps.)
>

> 2) Looking at the screenshots, it's NOT rotated 180 degrees (upside
> down), but actually mirrored vertically.  Correct?  Rotated would switch
> left/right as well, mirrored vertically would not.  I've seen options
> that do a full rotation, but mirroring is less common.  That's gotta be a
> clue of some kind, but I'm not sure where it fits in yet.
>

> 3) You mention "protected mode" vs. "normal mode".  This is the bit that
> was most confusing to me.  In (English) x86-based computer terminology,
> "protected mode" has a specific meaning related to 16-bit vs 32-bit CPU
> hardware memory, etc, access modes.  But that doesn't /seem/ to have
> anything at all to do with what you're describing, so that's gotta be a
> translation, distracting me from the real problem since it's bringing in
> all those unrelated "protected mode" associations.
>
> What I /suspect/ you mean is plasma's  "lock widgets" / "unlock widgets"
> mode toggle, where many plasma settings, the position of various
> "plasmoids" (aka widgets), etc, cannot be changed unless widgets are
> unlocked.  Correct?

Nope. I was talking about checking "enable desktop effects at startup".
I have it disabled for now.

> It's worth noting that since kde 4.5 or 4.6 or so, plasma has defaulted
> to "locked widgets" every time it starts, even if they were unlocked when
> it shutdown.  Thus, in ordered to change anything that needs widgets
> unlocked to change, you always have to unlock them, unless you already
> unlocked widgets that plasma session.  But simply unlocking them
> shouldn't trigger reversing them... so there's a serious bug somewhere,
> if that's indeed what you're seeing.

Nope ... no problem with the widgets and in fact I have never seen this
defaulted behaviour. On my end KDE starts with the last state (means
"locked" when previously locked and "unlocked, whern previously unlocked).

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (55 to go)

2012/07/14 10:50
EDDS 141050Z 26017G28KT 9999 SCT038 18/11 Q1011 NOSIG