KDE 4.7 System Requirements

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 13:18:56 GMT 2012

On 01/07/2012 10:28 AM, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2012, 16:35:39 schrieb _:
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I'm considering installing the KDE 4.7.4 version on my FreeBSD 8.2 system,
>> and
>> I'd like to ask the community about the system requirements to make it run:
>>
>> The base information for my system looks like this:
>>
>> Intel P4 1.8 Ghz CPU
>> 512 MB of RAM
>> Intel Onboard Graphics Chip

It will depend on which Intel chip you have.  The early ones suck while
the current ones are OK.  It also matters if your motherboard supports
interleaved memory (you need 4 memory cards for it to work) which will
minimize the contention for memory between the processor and the GPU in
North Bridge chip.

>> Can anybody on this list give me any pointers as to the performance of KDE
>> under
>> the above hardware setup?

Get more RAM. :-D

>> Moreover, how much diskspace will KDE take?

My installation used 882.4 MiB.

> I had it running with a similar hardware
> - 1.8 GHz Celeron
> - onboard AMD x200 Graphic
> - 512MB Ram (but later 1GB ram)
>
> It was incredible slow (compared to my core i3) but it was usable. I think the
> core problem may be ram. IF you can increase the ram up to 1GB it will be much
> better.

Yes, the amount of RAM is the issue.  Probably it isn't anything to do
with KDE, but it will run quite slowly if it is using virtual memory.
If you can afford 4 GBytes, that is what I recommend.  Having more RAM
appears to be more important than a faster processor.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch