KDE 4.7 System Requirements

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 7 19:22:50 GMT 2012

On 07/01/12 17:28, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2012, 16:35:39 schrieb _:
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I'm considering installing the KDE 4.7.4 version on my FreeBSD 8.2
>> system, and I'd like to ask the community about the system
>> requirements to make it run:
>>
>> The base information for my system looks like this:
>>
>> Intel P4 1.8 Ghz CPU 512 MB of RAM Intel Onboard Graphics Chip
>>
>> Can anybody on this list give me any pointers as to the performance
>> of KDE under the above hardware setup? Moreover, how much diskspace
>> will KDE take?
>
> I had it running with a similar hardware - 1.8 GHz Celeron - onboard
> AMD x200 Graphic - 512MB Ram (but later 1GB ram)
>
> It was incredible slow (compared to my core i3) but it was usable. I
> think the core problem may be ram. IF you can increase the ram up to
> 1GB it will be much better.
>
> More than a year ago my main computer was a P4 2.4Ghz wit 2GB of ram
> and it was quite good.

It's not going to be fast, whatever you do, but I agree that increasing
the RAM is the best bet.  If you are prepared to do without some of the
bells and whistles, desktop effects, for instance, it should be usable.
 Without that increase, there's a real chance that it won't even
install, and then of course there is the fact that the elderly graphics
chip may or may not be recognised immediately - something that usually
can be worked around, but is initially a pain.

Just my thoughts :-)

Anne
--
Need KDE help?  Try