how to fix non-starting kde in user account

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 16:56:19 GMT 2012

Alex Schuster posted on Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:08:11 +0100 as excerpted:

> But in order to access your mails, select another window manager or
> desktop environment when logging in at KDM. Like, Gnome, OpenBox, Xfce,
> or whatever else is installed on your system. Then start KMail from this
> environment. You do not need to actually run KDE to start KDE
> applications.

Good point! =:^)

I only have kde installed (even the the gentoo fallbacks, xterm and twm I
think it is, are package.provided so I don't have them installed either;
if kde breaks, I simply revert back to older, known-working versions, and/
or revert to a default config and bisect the problem in the config, if
it's a user config issue), and don't have a *DM either, choosing instead
to login using the text login, and startx/startkde from there, so didn't
think of that.

But you're right, most distros (including gentoo if I hadn't bypassed the
fallbacks to avoid having to install and update them) have fallbacks, and
it's possible to run kde apps (as opposed to the entire kde session) from
them even if the kde session isn't working.  Good point indeed! =:^)