how to fix non-starting kde in user account

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Jan 5 14:08:11 GMT 2012

sibu xolo writes:

> I am using a computer  with LINUX-2.6.35/kde-4.4.5.  One account has
> developed a fault.  I can login via kdm and the machine then
> attempts to start kde. This then fails and the screen goes black. I
> miss the use of this account mostly because of email addresses stored
> in kmail. Does anyone know of a way to replenish kde  so that I can
> access  kmail for instance.

Like others wrote, I would first try to log in as another user, or
rename my .kde/.kde4 directory (maybe even .config and .local) before
logging in and see if KDE will start then. Have a look at you
.xsession-errors file. Maybe also in /var/log/kdm.log. This might help
to diagnose the problem.

But in order to access your mails, select another window manager or
desktop environment when logging in at KDM. Like, Gnome, OpenBox, Xfce,
or whatever else is installed on your system. Then start KMail from this
environment. You do not need to actually run KDE to start KDE applications.

	Wonko