kate: execute scripts (python, perl, ...)?

Mirko K. mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:14:01 GMT 2012

On 14.12.2012 10:43, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Hi;
>
> and first off, thanks a bunch for your feedback.
>
> Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2012, 15:00:57 schrieb Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan:
>>
>> You can allways open the konsole inside Kate. Maybe that helps. Not
>> really a solution... more like a workaround.
>>

> Neat. Though indeed it's not really what I expected, it does for sure help,
> especially assuming most of the scripts I'm about to run will require some
> sort of terminal anyway. Now only to find an "easy" way to sync the terminal
> with the folder of the currently edited document, but guess that's minor work.
> :)
>
> Thanks again and all the best,
> Kristian

I don't use Kate much, but try this:

Open a Python file, run menu Build -> Build. At the bottom a tabbed
notebook appears with an error message that no Makefile was found.
Click the tab "Target Settings" and put

python "%f" <additional script arguments>

into the "Quick Compile" entry. Then go to Settings -> "Configure
Shortcuts" and choose whatever key you want for the "Quick Compile"
function.

Instead of the python command, you could write a simple shell script
that runs python or perl or whatever depending on the file extension
or hash bang.

HTH