Something about Chrome and KDE Wallet Service

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Dec 13 17:06:01 GMT 2012

On 12/13/2012 04:34 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2012-12-13, Duncan wrote:
>
>> First, a quick request.  Please refrain from posting HTML to the kde
>> lists, as last I checked was suggested in the kde mailing list
>> guidelines.  Not everyone wants the security and other risks associated
>> with using a standard HTML parser on messages which could be sent by
>> anyone and used, among other things, for "web bug" spyware and other
>> malware.  Plain text is good. =:^)
> This could be a problem of your setup. The mail of Burgess Wong contains both
> a plain text version and a HTML version (multipart/mixed).
>
> This allows the recipient's mail reader to display whatever its user prefers,
> in my case the plain text version. Seems your mail reader thinks you prefer
> the HTML version.
>
>> Second, I believe you'll find a thread on this very topic from the end of
>> November, over on the kde-linux list (as opposed to the kde-general list,
>> this one), rather useful.
> The two issues sound similar but not identical. The user on kde-linux had the
> issue that each new tab caused a KWallet authentication request, while here it
> seems to be limited to Chrome startup.
>
> Obviously KWallet as the service can't do anything about Chrome asking for
> access, however, it usually can control whether it needs to ask the user.
>
> I had a look at KWalletmanager and it has the option to not ask at all.
> Alternatively it can have different access rules for different applications.
> Maybe the rule for Chrome is currently set to "always ask" and could be
> deleted and at next access replaced with "always grant".
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Using PCLOS, KDE 4.9.2. I too see the nonsense about KWallet when I try
to use chrome, so I won't bother with Chrome unless I can get rid of it.
However, when I try to go to kwalletmanager, I don't get any configuration
setup, all I get is this:

$ kwalletmanager
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

I have no idea at all what this means!  anyone care to assist?

--doug