folderview as default for all users

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Sat Dec 8 17:50:32 GMT 2012

Hi!

I, as a distro developer (Whonix), want to make folderview the default
for all users. (Right click on desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Layout ->
Folder View) (I don't care if people change it later.)

The distro is based on Debian. I am replacing the original
/usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js. The file
originally looks like:

loadTemplate("org.kde.plasma-desktop.defaultPanel")

for (var i = 0; i < screenCount; ++i) {
    var activity = new Activity
    desktop.name = i18n("Desktop")
    desktop.screen = i
    desktop.wallpaperPlugin = 'image'
    desktop.wallpaperMode = 'SingleImage'

    //Create more panels for other screens
    if (i > 0){
        var panel = new Panel
        panel.screen = i
        panel.location = 'bottom'
        panel.height = panels()[i].height = screenGeometry(0).height >
1024 ? 35 : 27
        var tasks = panel.addWidget("tasks")
        tasks.writeConfig("showOnlyCurrentScreen", true);
    }
}

I am changing 'var activity = new Activity' to 'var activity = new
Activity("folderview");'. That's it. Minor change.

Is there a better way than replacing the file?

Stacking the kde configuration files somehow? It didn't work for me.
/etc/environment sets: 'KDEDIRS=/usr/local/share/whonix/kde/' and I
placed the patched 00-defaultLayout.js into the stacked kde
configuration folder. I.e.
/usr/local/share/whonix/kde/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js

Any idea why it's not working?

Is my approach good or is there are more correct way to do it?

Cheers,
adrelanos