How to Build for/on KDE?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Dec 2 12:09:46 GMT 2012

Hi Jacky,

On Saturday, 2012-12-01, Jacky Alcine wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> This might be a bit of a silly question, but I'm curious about the
> procedure as to how one would go about building out their own custom
> version of the KDE platform.

As Duncan already wrote, the main information resource for development related
activities is TechBase.
It contains both general documentation (e.g. a getting started guide) and
project specific documentation (e.g. KDEPIM has its own sub section).

Some projects have a list of tasks suitable for people new to the code base.
Those lists can be on TechBase but can also be Bugzilla entries marked as
"junior job".

> I'm looking to get all of the following applications (since I don't know
> the repository locations):

The easiest way to get the code and build it is to use kdesrc-build
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/kdesrc-build

Basically you enable/disable which modules you want to have through its
configuration file and it knows where to get them and how and in which order to
build them.

> I'm doing this largely so I can help with bug fixing and testing and also
> work on helping make the system better. I'm a big KDE user but I haven't
> fully converted in terms of development (I know C++ using stdlibs, Qt, and
> Boost so I'm hoping this is enough, and I know other languages like Python,
> Ruby and JavaScript).

Very cool, those skills are certainly more than good enough :)

I recommend you also subscribe to kde-core-devel at kde.org, it is our main
development (developing on KDE code) discussion list.

If you have any question that you don't feel like discussing on a list, feel
free to mail me directly.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring