How to install KDE 4.9 on Debian Squeeze

Mirosław Zalewski miniopl at poczta.onet.pl
Mon Aug 20 19:11:22 BST 2012

On 20/08/2012 at 19:02, andre_debian at numericable.fr wrote:

> Actually, on Wheezy (unstable) the package KDE = 4.9 or less ?

On both Wheezy and unstable there are 4.8.4 packages. Wheezy will ship with
it [0], and due to Debian freeze policy, we won't see 4.9 in unstable.

It may end up in semi-official repository [1] sometime during a freeze, but it
has never been confirmed (I wouldn't count on it). It has been confirmed that
KDEPIM from 4.8.4 will be packaged [2] - look at it in this external
repository or in experimental.

If you need to use KDE 4.9, you may:
- compile it yourself. Perhaps upgrade to Wheezy before, since it has newer Qt
and Qt development packages available.
- use another distribution. Kubuntu is Ubuntu-based (which, in turn, is
Debian-based), so it has administrative tools you should be familiar with.
There are also openSUSE, Arch, Gentoo and many others that has KDE 4.9
available.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/05/msg00066.html
[1] http://qt-kde.debian.net/
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/06/msg00047.html