Playing around with Kubuntu 12.04 beta

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 9 03:45:18 BST 2012

Hans Muecke posted on Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:27:33 -0500 as excerpted:

> Installed Kubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta on one of my machines (Asus EeePC) to
> get some ideas about the look and feel.
> Instzalled everything ... configured the desktop like I want it to have
> it. System said it needed to reboot. Did that and after the next login I
> ended up with this:
>
> http://goo.gl/qBLSG (sorry for the tilted pic)
>
> Whatever I knew about changing the desktop looks I tried ... to no
> avail. I don't get the classic desktop back. Any hints are much
> appreciated, since to me personally it is not usable.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Ahhh, OK.  I'd guess the install detected your screen size/resolution and
decided you were on a netbook, so it gave you the plasma-netbook shell (a
different executable) instead of the plasma-desktop shell.

The fix is easy enough.  KDE settings (whatever they're called in
kubuntu, systemsettings is what they're called as kde ships, despite the
fact that most of the settings are kde- and user-specific and thus have
little or nothing to do with SYSTEM settings, but I guess some distros do
actually add /system/ settings modules to it as well), workspace
appearance and behavior, workspace behavior, workspace.  Then switch the
workspace type to desktop (it probably says netbook ATM) and apply.