k3b???

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 3 10:36:15 BST 2012

On Tuesday, April 03, 2012 05:26:41 AM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:17:26 -0400 as excerpted:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I needed to burn a copy of the bios for a new intel board this
> > afternoon,
> > and when I fired off k3b, it had a small litter of kittens:
> >
> > [gene at coyote ~]$ k3b KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is
> > being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake
> > component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related
> > functions before your main component was created. You should not do
> > that since it most likely will not work [gene at coyote ~]$
> > K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
> > K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
> > k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects"
> > with KXMLGUIFactory!
> > k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree"
> > with KXMLGUIFactory!
> > k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents"
> > with KXMLGUIFactory!
> > k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with
> > KXMLGUIFactory!
> > QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receiver
> >
> > But it did burn the cd ok.
> >
> > Is this something one of us should do something about?  If so, what?
>
> Short answer: Nothing to worry about.
>
> Rather longer, with a caveat:
>
> In general, it seems that kde devs don't normally expect their apps to
> be run from a terminal window by "ordinary users".  Instead, I guess
> they expect them to use the menu system or run them from krunner (the
> run dialog), such that STDOUT and STDERR get sent to /dev/null.  Given
> that expectation, kde apps run from a terminal window (or otherwise
> with user visible STDOUT/STDERR) tend to be very noisy, spitting out
> all sorts of developer targeted warnings due to use of deprecated
> functions that the app hasn't been updated away from yet but that still
> work perfectly well, etc.
>
> Thus, in general, such "noise" from a kde app is to an end user just
> that, "noise", and can be entirely disregarded.  The /problem/ of course
> is that when there actually /is/ a problem and you're running from a
> terminal window in ordered to troubleshoot, all that perfectly normal
> for a kde app noise hides the information that might actually be
> telling you what's wrong and how to fix it.  There's all these alarming
> looking messages... but most of them are perfectly normal!  The only
> hope for anything useful in that case is to diff the output generated
> from a working install to that of the one with the problem, in ordered
> to see what's actually different between them.  But of course that
> requires at least two systems, one of which must still be working,
> either that or per incredibly lucky chance, a captured "normal" output
> from before the problem, to compare against.
>
> That's always been a bit of a frustration of mine, particularly since
> [...]

It did work, it burnt the bios update as requested.  And its 10,000% easier
to type k3b in a user terminal than it is to wade through the menu's and
find it, under archivers of all places.  Call me an anachronism at 77, but
if I can spell it, I can type it a heck of a lot easier than I can hunt
around in the cracks and crannies of a poorly laid out menu system.

So I suspect you are 200% correct. System housekeeping has never been kde's
strong point.  :)  They get lots more points for making bz hard to use IMO.
Its forgot who I am, again.  But funny thing, if I try to open a new
account, it will toss it in the bit bucket because I already have one.

Thanks Duncan.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac; you can always take something for it.