k3b???

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Apr 3 09:47:35 BST 2012

gene heskett posted on Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:17:26 -0400 as excerpted:

> Greetings;
>
> I needed to burn a copy of the bios for a new intel board this
> afternoon,
> and when I fired off k3b, it had a small litter of kittens:
>
> [gene at coyote ~]$ k3b KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is
> being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component,
> this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your
> main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely
> will not work [gene at coyote ~]$ K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
> K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
> k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects" with
> KXMLGUIFactory!
> k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with
> KXMLGUIFactory!
> k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with
> KXMLGUIFactory!
> k3b(26825)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with
> KXMLGUIFactory!
> QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receiver
>
> But it did burn the cd ok.
>
> Is this something one of us should do something about?  If so, what?

Short answer: Nothing to worry about.

Rather longer, with a caveat:

In general, it seems that kde devs don't normally expect their apps to be
run from a terminal window by "ordinary users".  Instead, I guess they
expect them to use the menu system or run them from krunner (the run
dialog), such that STDOUT and STDERR get sent to /dev/null.  Given that
expectation, kde apps run from a terminal window (or otherwise with user
visible STDOUT/STDERR) tend to be very noisy, spitting out all sorts of
developer targeted warnings due to use of deprecated functions that the
app hasn't been updated away from yet but that still work perfectly well,
etc.

Thus, in general, such "noise" from a kde app is to an end user just
that, "noise", and can be entirely disregarded.  The /problem/ of course
is that when there actually /is/ a problem and you're running from a
terminal window in ordered to troubleshoot, all that perfectly normal for
a kde app noise hides the information that might actually be telling you
what's wrong and how to fix it.  There's all these alarming looking
messages... but most of them are perfectly normal!  The only hope for
anything useful in that case is to diff the output generated from a
working install to that of the one with the problem, in ordered to see
what's actually different between them.  But of course that requires at
least two systems, one of which must still be working, either that or per
incredibly lucky chance, a captured "normal" output from before the
problem, to compare against.

That's always been a bit of a frustration of mine, particularly since
unlike some, I don't normally keep multiple systems around.  (I do now
have a netbook as well as my main machine, both running kde on gentoo,
but the netbook's install isn't updated anything near as frequently, and
is actually kde 4.6.4 or some such at this point, I think, while my main
machine is 4.8.1, to be 4.8.2 after its scheduled release later this
week.  With that much of a version gap, and different hardware as well,
the comparison is of limited use.)

The caveat:  The ISO-9660 spec does have some technical particulars
related to locale, and at one point anyway, there was a rather common
misconfiguration that k3b would complain about as it could screw up the
ability of the generated images to be read on other systems, MS Windows
being the most common I'd expect.  At least that was my understanding of
the situation.

I don't recall the specifics, but it's possible that local warning is
related to that.  FWIW, I get it (along with the other complaints you
posted, plus something about a missing smb.conf, not surprising as I
don't have samba installed and have most of the related kde functionality
build-time disabled where possible) too.

So it's /possible/ that locale-related complaint might have some
relevance if you intend to load the generated ISOs on MS platforms or the
like, or maybe not as it could be locale related but entirely separate
from that old issue, but other than that, no, I don't believe that output
is anything to worry about, at all.