Dolphin file copy question

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 25 04:36:09 BST 2011

James Colby posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:44:08 -0400 as excerpted:

> Another questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.  Is it
> possible to set up rsync to auto retry on failure?  The resume option
> work great, but I would like rsync to retry after a network failure
> automatically. The other night my connection dropped out shortly after I
> started my rsync session and an entire night was wasted, and I would
> like to avoid that in the future.

You're challenging me a bit, too. =:^)

My first instinct, and a look at the rsync manpage appears to confirm it,
is that at a minimum, retries should be scriptable.  Simply stick the
call to rsync in a loop that tests whether the exit value was 0/success
and then exits, or something else.  The manpage lists the exit values and
their meaning, and you can check for specific values and behave
accordingly.  So for instance, exit code 30 (timeout in data send/
receive) and exit code 35 (timeout waiting for daemon connection) look to
be likely for network issues, and you can have the scripted loop retry
the rsync in those cases, but not for instance with exit code 1 (syntax
or usage error), where a verbatim retry is very likely to result in the
same exit code 100% of the time.  (See also the --timeout and --contimeout
options.)  I'd suggest verifying the actual error codes you get, and
testing for them to decide whether to try again, or not.

Of course the above assumes you know enough about shell scripting to be
able to manage setting up the loop, etc.  If not, I can probably help
with that too, but that gets complex enough and the assumption is likely
enough to be true to be worth making it, initially.