Dolphin file copy question

James Colby jcolby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 03:44:08 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM, James Colby <jcolby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> James Colby posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:03:57 -0400 as excerpted:

>> > Sounds like we have a consensus.  :)  I've always been a little
>> > intimidated by rsync but I guess now is the time to man up (man rsync)
>> > </end bad pun>
>>
>> Yet another vote for rsync.  Note that once you have ssh setup, as it
>> appears you already do, rsync over ssh is quite easy indeed.
>>
>> My personal usage?  I run gentoo on both my 64-bit workstation and my 32-
>> bit-only netbook.  Gentoo is of course build-from-source, but since my
>> workstation is 64-bit while my netbook is 32-bit, I can't just build once
>> for both, I have to build separately for each.  And the netbook being a
>> netbook, I'm not particularly eager to do my building on it.  So I have a
>> 32-bit build-image chroot on my 64-bit machine, setup specifically to
>> handle the building and maintenance for the 32-bit netbook.
>>
>> Originally, I copied the image to USB thumbdrive (while it was plugged
>> into the workstation, of course), booted the thumbdrive on the netbook,
>> then copied from it to the netbook's harddrive so I could native-boot
>> from the netbook's own drive.
>>
>> To that point I had never used ssh before, as I had always had only the
>> single machine, so after getting the netbook installed and running in
>> general, I learned how to setup sshd securely and did so, on the netbook
>> (while still using the thumbdrive to sync between the workstation and the
>> netbook, rsyncing twice per transfer, once to the thumbdrive from the
>> workstation, once from the thumbdrive to the netbook).  Then I learned
>> the ssh client side setup and did that on the workstation.
>>
>> It was then only a matter of a couple adjustments to the rsync scripts
>> that had been syncing to and from the thumbdrive, to use direct rsync on
>> the LAN, instead.
>>
>> Learning how to handle ssh for both server and client was *MUCH* harder
>> than learning, then scripting, the rsync solution, first to/from the
>> thumbdrive, then script tweaked only slightly to use direct rsync via ssh
>> between the hosts themselves, instead of the thumbdrive "sneakernet".
>>
>> So if you already have ssh setup, one end server, one end client, as it
>> sounds like you do, learning to handle rsync over the existing ssh setup
>> should be no sweat at all, comparatively.
>>
>> FWIW the rsync manpage is a bit of a monster, but most of it is dealing
>> with exclusion file formats, etc, that you can probably do without, at
>> least at first.  There are a few command line switches that are useful
>> for handling symlinks if you're dealing with them (as I was), but other
>> than that, it's pretty basic.
>>
>> The one hint that I WILL leave you with is to *ALWAYS* use the --dry-run
>> switch the first time around.  In my scripts, I actually made that the
>> default, and then go back and run the command again, adding a LIVE
> [...]

Another questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.  Is it possible
to set up rsync to auto retry on failure?  The resume option work great, but
I would like rsync to retry after a network failure automatically.  The
other night my connection dropped out shortly after I started my rsync
session and an entire night was wasted, and I would like to avoid that in
the future.

Thanks,
James