KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 11 22:09:51 BST 2011

Anne Wilson posted on Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:35:32 +0100 as excerpted:

> I take your point, but in truth, any well-written piece of code should
> be able to exit gracefully if something fails.  If it can't, I'd rather
> not run it at all.

You're absolutely correct.  But the point is, one of the big selling-
point features of plasma has been its extensibility... by coders who may
in fact be rather bad at it, beginners or whatever.  In that sort of
environment, you have to COUNT on some of the code being bad, because it
is GOING to happen.  An app designed for that can't simply crash when one
of the extensions goes bad, because it WILL heppen, and it WILL look bad
for the main app as a result.  It MUST be designed to be robust and have
the rest keep running in spite of whatever badly coded barf-code someone
throws at it, or it wasn't so properly designed for that extensibility as
it might seem to be after all.

Which is the problem we have.

So are you going to quit running plasma, then, because you'd "rather not
run it at all"?  [Haha only serious.]

[Caveats about not being a (C/C++) coder apply.  My skills tend more
toward technical sysadmin, scripting, etc.  And /as/ a sysadmin that does
at least speak some programming lingo, plasma is quite good in a lot of
ways including its extensibility, but it could certainly be better in
regard to robustness in view of that extensibility, is what I'm saying.]