KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 11 18:35:32 BST 2011

On Sunday 11 Sep 2011 Duncan wrote:
> > I wonder if it depends on the design of the specific plasmoid.  I'm not
>
> sure
>
> > whether I've used my netbook for a long enough period without
>
> connection to
>
> > guarantee it, but I think it's true that my yawp plasmoid simply shows
>
> the
>
> > cached information when it can't connect, so I'm guessing that yawp has

> > time-out and pyweather doesn't.
>
> It does depend on the plasmoid.  See the other subthread, the previous
> thread between Wonko and me discussing it, and the link in the other
> subthread to ASegio's comment discussing it on a blog.
>
> His point is that there's no other way to paint (with any kind of
> performance) on a (presumably) qt canvas, but having all painters in a
> single thread.
>
> My point, Wonko's, the person who wrote that blog, Tim's in this thread,
> etc, is that, if qt-canvas as a technology doesn't allow performant
> robustness, then qt-canvas as a technology was the wrong technology
> choice for an app which has as a primary bullet point how extensible it
> is, by "ordinary" people without expert-level cooperative-multitasking
> skills.  These freezes simply shouldn't be happening in an app where such
> extensibility is touted as a primary feature, and if they are, the wrong
> choices were made SOMEWHERE.
>
> Meanwhile, it should be noted that it's possible to run a plasmoid in a
> separate window and app, if necessary, instead of in plasma itself, thus
> eliminating the problem since all it takes down is that separate window/
> app.  It's not as integrated, but for plasmoids that have this sort of
> issues, it DOES allow them to be run.
>
> See the plasmoidviewer and plasma-windowed commands (run in konsole with
> --help to get a short description and parameter help) for two such
> solutions.

I take your point, but in truth, any well-written piece of code should be able
to exit gracefully if something fails.  If it can't, I'd rather not run it at
all.  There are always other ways of doing the same thing.  Since my husband
is weather-forecast fixated I tried several weather plasmoids along the way.
Some wouldn't run at all.  Some ran, but wouldn't talk to a weather station
that understands our geography.  Some had this kind of instability.  I simply
reject them and find one that does work properly.

I'm all for encouraging coders who write good ones, and rejecting the ones
that don't.

Anne