KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Sun Sep 11 13:22:40 BST 2011

Tim Edwards writes:

> Saw something interesting in the konsole window - just before the freeze
> ups each time there is output from the Pyweather plasma widget that
> shows it trying to retrieve weather data from the net. Currently our
> cable internet is out so I'm using 3G (USB tethering from the mobile
> phone), which in our house is slow and gets an intermittent signal.
>
> My theory is it looks like the Pyweather widget is hanging trying to get
> data sometimes, and this in turn hangs plasma-desktop. Which, if true,
> is IMHO a huge design fault in plasma-desktop. Anyway I'll see if this
> theory holds out, Pyweather's been removed and so far no freezes.

Yes, that's the problem with plasma-desktoĆ¼p, it's single threaded, and
if one plasmoid hangs, whole plasma hangs. I often had such trouble when
using plasmoids I downloaded fron the net.

I also believe it's a huge design fault, but there _are_ indeed reasons
for doing this, having to do with speed mainly I think. I don't find the
link right now where this was explained, but if you are interested, I
could search and find it.

	Wonko