KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Tim Edwards tkedwards at fastmail.com.au
Sun Sep 11 13:17:06 BST 2011

On Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:57 PM, "Tim Edwards"
<tkedwards at fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:33 PM, "Alex Schuster"
> <wonko at wonkology.org> wrote:
> > Tim Edwards writes:
> >
> > > I'm running Opensuse 11.4 with KDE 4.6 on a Netbook. When I plug the
> > > netbook in to an external monitor/TV after a few minutes the KDE panel
> > > (including all menus, icons, clock etc.) is completely frozen. Even
> > > after over an hour it remains frozen.
> > >
> > > All other software functions fine - firefox, Libreoffice, Thunderbird
> > > etc. and I can use alt+tab to switch between them. I can't launch new
> > > programs since the KMenu is frozen
> >
> > I think KRunner (Alt-F2) should still work.
>
> Thanks, that helps.
>

> > >                                    but I have a konsole window open I
> > > can run programs from there. All these programs, including KDE-specific
> > > ones such as Dolphin, work fine, without freezing or pauses.
> >
> > Looks like plasma-desktop froze. Does top show this process with 100% CPU
> > usage? This happened to me often.
> >
> > Try this in your Konsole in order to quit plasma and restart it:
> >
> >   kquitapp plasma-desktop; plasma-desktop
> >
> > If kquitapp does not work, try killall -9 plasma-desktop instead. If it
> > hangs again, maybe you see some output in the Konsole that helps to see
> > what the problem is.
>
> Yeah it was completely frozen, I had to kill -9 the process. I've now
> started it from a konsole window so we'll see if it shows any errors.

Saw something interesting in the konsole window - just before the freeze
ups each time there is output from the Pyweather plasma widget that
shows it trying to retrieve weather data from the net. Currently our
cable internet is out so I'm using 3G (USB tethering from the mobile
phone), which in our house is slow and gets an intermittent signal.

My theory is it looks like the Pyweather widget is hanging trying to get
data sometimes, and this in turn hangs plasma-desktop. Which, if true,
is IMHO a huge design fault in plasma-desktop. Anyway I'll see if this
theory holds out, Pyweather's been removed and so far no freezes.

Tim