Activity epiphany

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Oct 31 21:10:49 GMT 2011

On 10/13/2011 12:14 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Over the months and years since kde4 came out, I've read a lot about
> activities... and they always seemed "nice" in an abstract "wow, it's
> nice they can do that" kind of way, but not necessarily something I'd use
> a lot, personally, tho I couldn't really put my finger on why I wasn't as
> personally enamored with them as I might be.
>
> Today I figured it out.
>
> The trigger for my epiphany was reading yet another blurb about another
> article by Aaron Seigo on activities, as it happened, on his epiphany
> that lead to the ideas that have gradually evolved into activities as we
> know them in kde (and the new plasma-active).
>
> Here's the article:
>
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/10/activities.html
>
> Quoting the first couple paragraphs (combined) as they appeared in my
> feed reader:
>
>> Several years ago now I had a minor epiphany while doing field research
>> in the offices of friends and work associates on how people use their
>> computers. The ideas led to the concept of "Activities", which I
>> originally called "Projects" (we changed the name because it was about
>> more than just things we could call a "project").The idea was fairly
>> grand: you communicate to the computer what you are currently doing and
>> it adapts to that. You would be able to teach it what it means to be
>> doing that thing: "I use these files, talk to these people, need this
>> network connection, want these applications ..." The teaching would
>> happen over time as you engage in your activity, whatever it might be.
>
> As I said, I finally got it, I think, and why altho it's a great feature
> for general computer newbies, it's not all that impressive in actual
> practice for me personally, because my personal assumptions are that of a
> power user comfortable at the command line and with scripting.
>
> Basically, all activities are, from a computer power-user perspective, is
> an automated method to batch a bunch of apps with their content together,
> launching and shutting them down as a unit, potentially at the same time
> changing configuration options that affect that activity -- disabling
> screensavers and automatic display sleep cycles when activating a movie
> activity, for instance, then activating them again when switching to some
> other activity.
>
> For a relative computer novice, or one more accustomed to taking an
> adversarial position regarding their computer because they can never seem
> to get it to work the way they want, as opposed to a computer power user
> who appreciates the way computers work, and uses that to their advantage,
> to the point they don't even realize half the stuff they're doing any
> more as it's so intuitive to them now... to that non-power-user,
> activities have the potential to open up a whole new world of automation
> for them, one they never appreciated as existing, before.
>
> But, for the already computer power user, the story is far different.  To
> [...]
Duncan

Your explanation is helpful. The analogy I have been carrying around in
my mind for
KDE workspaces is that of the saved "workspace" which you see in quite a
few apps that
build up fairly complex workflows that are difficult to replicate every
time you want to
get there again.

A typical one is a GIS application where you might have up to 20 layers
loaded, some visible,
some hidden, a windows showing some of these layers at a different
magnification and a
couple of database tables showing results of geographical queries. You
can save all the
individual files that make up this session, but really you want to save
the whole she-bang, so
you can save a "workspace" or "project" file (depending on which GIS
system you are using).

The trouble is that when it comes to the desktop itself, I can think of
very few times when I really
need the a complex desktop saving in that way. Typically I can re-create
a desktop with a few
mouseclicks and with no recourse to scritping (although some of the apps
that I would have
started up with a click or two will have some initialising scripts).

So although I think I do "get it" with regard to activities, I still
have very few occasions when I feel the
need to make much use of them.