Can I change the icons in the panel system tray ?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 1 12:36:30 BST 2011

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati posted on Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:43:48 -0400 as
excerpted:

> The system tray, in my new Mageia install, uses icons that are mostly
> grey on light grey, difficult to differenciate; I would like to add some
> colour to them.
>
> Could some kind soul tell me where does the system tray icons reside ?

Are you talking about the old multi-color icons, or the newer
monocolor-&-clear icons?

The older ones are traditional application system tray icons, while the
newer monocolor ones signify kde infrastructure-based services, thus
contrasting with traditional applications.

I'll assume you're talking about the newer monocolor services icons.
Given that these are actually placed in-tray by kde's systray plasmoid
itself, they are by definition a part of plasma.  As such, it's the
desktop (plasma being that desktop) theme that defines this and most of
the other color/transparency/etc elements of the desktop, including not
only the system tray but the panels, plasmoid backgrounds and artwork
(like the analog clock artwork), etc.

The configuration for that is found in kde settings, workspace appearance
and behavior, workspace appearance, desktop theme.  Note that if you
don't like the available pre-packaged choices, you can download more from
kde-look.org.  The get new themes button does that, but browsing kde-
look.org directly makes it easier to browse the whole list.

FWIW, I run the "professional" theme, downloaded from kdelook, here.
It's somewhat more transparent (with desktop effects on, otherwise it's a
dark gray background) than the default.  I've tried others, but keep
returning to it.  Its one problem is also its great strength, the high
degree of transparency.  If I want to read something but can't as a
result of that, I temporarily toggle desktop effects off, resulting in an
easily readable white on dark gray (nice since I vastly prefer "reverse"
colors, light text on dark backgrounds, anyway), then toggle effects back
on.

One caution.  For whatever reason, changing themes doesn't take full
effect immediately, or it didn't last I tried, at least.  The graphics
change but the font-colors didn't change immediately, and AFAIK, it's the
font-color setting that controls the color of the monocolor outlines.  To
see the full effect (including what you're specifically worried about
here, I believe), you must restart plasma.  You can restart all of kde
(or the entire computer) if desired, but I simply kill and restart plasma
itself, using a compound-command like the following in krunner (kquitapp
would be the kde-specific way of doing it, but I prefer the linux-wide
killall):

killall plasma-desktop; sleep 2; plasma-desktop