exporting from kmail (Was: Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 30 03:01:31 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 09:55:21 PM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:58:11 -0500 as excerpted:
> > On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 01:38:04 PM Duncan did opine:
> >> Martin (KDE) posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:44:18 +0100 as excerpted:
> >>
> >> Well, the OP in this thread is using IMAP and the new kmail is still
> >> causing him problems...

> >> Yes and no.  My mail providers don't offer it, and I could run my
> >> own, but there's little point, as I don't have but the one place I
> >> do mail anyway, and even if I did run my own IMAP server, I'd still
> >> have to find a mail client I was comfortable with to access that
> >> IMAP server from the one location, so why even bother, when a good
> >> mail client bypasses the need for me to run such a server entirely?
> >>
> >> OK, so after nearly a decade of kmail working just fine as that mail
> >> client, until the devs decided they couldn't leave well enough alone,
> >> I found I needed another solution.  But again, if I'm ultimately
> >> going to need a client I'm comfortable with anyway, why complicate
> >> things by throwing in an IMAP server when the client I'm going to
> >> need to be comfortable with anyway can deal directly with my
> >> providers' POP3 servers?
> >>
> >> Actually, throwing in extra functionality I don't need and that only
> >> complicates things sounds like a rather familiar idea!  I wonder
> >> where I might have heard that before?  Oh, yeah, that's why I was in
> >> the situation in the first place, because the devs couldn't leave an
> >> unbroken kmail unbroken!
> >>
> >> Oh, well, I guess I should count myself lucky that I got that nine
> >> years out of it.  Not so much software works that well for that long,
> >> and if claws-mail serves me another nine years, I guess I'll be as
> >> happy with the lengthy usefulness of my choice as I am currently with
> >> its functional practicality. =:^)

> >> My situation is /vastly/ different from yours.  Mobile phone and/or
> >> internet simply hasn't yet fit my cost/benefit profile, and the
> >> proprietary equipment choices don't help.  Android's close enough to
> >> be acceptable if the price was right, but as I said, I've not yet
> >> seen it right, and unfortunately, the mobile-providers are moving
> >> away from unlimited Internet again now, so the situation isn't
> >> likely to get better out to at least the medium term.
> >>
> >> And while I do have a netbook (gentoo/kde, built in a 32-bit chroot
> >> on my workstation and ssh-rsynced), I really don't use the "net" bit
> >> of it. Very close to 100% of my internet activities are on my
> >> workstation, dual 1080p monitors, etc, so I really DO have little
> >> use for IMAP. Sure, I could run an IMAP server on localhost, but as
> >> I said, it's all single- point local anyway, so it might as well all
> >> be in the client, which I'm going to have to be comfortable with in
> >> any case.
> >>
> >> And I don't need an
> >> organizer/scheduler/calendar/groupware/nntp-client/
> >> feed-reader/mail-client/im/irc-client/singing-baboons/dancing-monkey
> >> s-

> [...]

It appears the mutt script can do it, one dir at a time, but I should setup
claws's mail filtering to match the kmail folder sorter, then pick a time
and do them all.

I haven't looked at claws-mail's docs, but does it have a dbus interface
where I can send it a 'go check mail' command when new mail has been
delivered and detected by inotifywait?  That would complete the automation
of incoming mail into claws, as opposed to setting it up to scan every 3
minutes or so.

Thanks Duncan.

Thanks Duncan.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
NEWARK has been REZONED!!  DES MOINES has been REZONED!!