Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 29 20:49:50 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 03:27:14 PM J did opine:

> gene heskett
>
> > On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 02:43:56 PM J did opine:
> >> gene heskett

> >> I just did that.  I tried to upgrade to kmail2 and it spectacularly
> >> failed.  I switched to claws, based on Duncan's recommendation.  I'm
> >> surprised I haven't been using it for some time.

> >> Claws doesn't multi-thread well either.

> >> I cheated.  I set up an imap server on localhost, pointed it to my
> >> kMail Maildir and then just did a drag and drop into the Claws MH
> >> mailstore. Then I uninstalled the imap server.
> >
> > Claws apparently does only mailfile operations, whereas I have 3/4ths
> > of the kmail "cur" subdirs as maildirs.
> >
> > I was thinking that I could maybe do a "cpa cur/* /var/mail/gene" and
> > then have claws read it just as if it was incoming mail.
> >
> > Would that, or a similar idea work?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> To convert a Maildir you either need to convert the mail files into mbox
> format (I don't recommend this, the scripts I tried were almost as bad
> as kMail2) or put in a temporary install of an IMAP server and rename
> Folder to .Folder within the Maildir to get the imap server to see
> them.

The difference between the maildir/file, and the individual email in a
mailfile, seems to be that the apparent break between the files that I have
noted the possible separator marker is a 2 empty lines followed by a From
with no terminating semicolon, it really shouldn't be that hard to convert
back to mailfile.  However, the mailfile messages are already contaminated
with spamassassin headers, and the 5 or 6 I looked at are also bereft of
the bare 'From so and so @ site' line, so possibly it will be more complex
than a simple cpa operation after all.

> It took me about 20 minutes to install, configure, convert, and
> uninstall. I had about 7 years of old email to move over.  Hardest part
> was configuring cyrus-IMAP to see the Maildir (one config item under
> OpenSusE).

I'll have to check cyrus-IMAP out after all.  Installed, but an lsof |grep
cyrus doesn't return a hint of where its working directory is.  I'll search
/etc & its man page for clues.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)