How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop?

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 19:25:54 BST 2011

I think a lot depends on what a pc is used for. Mine when I load it up again
following my upgrade will have about 35gb of pdf's,djvu's many of which are
ebooks on a variety of subjects. Also lots of print to file as well. I can
navigate to these via a application but it's quicker to get to the directory
they are in and click launch them. I may want several open at the same time. My
usual route to that sort of thing is the desktop but having got fed up of these
document, video, music type arrangements off home I've now decided to use them
and place links to them on the desktop. In other circumstances writing software
for certain systems I would have a directory with the files I'm working on in
it. These would be click launched to an editor. A further icons would assemble
or compile the last file I edited, another would do the lot. Another would link
them. Should the desktop be hidden it isn't really a problem - I just use the
show desktop and what ever I want next gets clicked and also goes to the focus.

I think a lot depends on how much and for what reason a pc is used. I've pounded
the d#mm things ever since they were invented and others before. I've used
desktops since win 3.1 mark 1 with a little resistance to begin with. I find
that the majority of what might be called heavy 8 hours a day users use the
interface like this. Like me they also often use the desktop for what might be
called a semi temp location.

The activity aspect might interest me. I might find I can create one called
microscopy. This might sub divide further into say manuals, slide making, image
processing and a number of other things. Each of these would ideally break down
further over several levels otherwise it wouldn't be of much use but the same
thing can be done with ordinary directory structures.  All would end in a launch
click. I hardly ever use the launch panels. The only direct application launch
icons I use are on the task bar. At the moment these are browser or two,email,
dolphin, dolphin su mode and yast (system tool and update). You will notice that
these aren't associated with a particular file type in the usual way Kate
usually ends up there as well also run in su mode mainly because it did have a
facility to return to files it had worked on in the past. Save remembering where
system files are. Haven't looked how that has gone yet. I did shown as a sort of
directory tree - little bit like launch clicking. It goes straight there without
much in the line of navigation.

The entire purpose of associations is to allow a pc to be used this way. Add
easy link set ups as per kde4 allows the activity aspects to include
applications as well,  a replacement for my task bar maybe  ;-) Makes me wonder
if I can have an su activity as well. That would also be useful but I suspect
wont be available.

My nas will get a desktop link shortly as well. I'm fed up of opening dolphin
selecting network and then selecting the nas and then navigating to the folder I
use. A link gets there in one click.

John
Each to his or her own as they say but basically it's quicker to work this way.