No sound in Kubuntu 11.04

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 11:32:10 BST 2011

I found that sound improved after I installed VLC and even the kmail sound
notification still worked.

I accepted a kde base lib update the other day. For some reason it set up hdmi
on my graphics card as the default yet again and switched phonon's back end to
xine and pushed the vlc one to the bottom of the preference list. Gstreamer is
in the middle.

Initial impression of the xine back end is that sound is good. ;-) Need to
receive more emails to get an idea. I use an old sound blaster echoing thunder
sound file. There may be a problem though. Kmail defaults to gstreamer and I
wonder if applications pick from the available phonon backends to suit
themselves and phonon accepts input from any of them. Installing vlc may have
caused it to hook up to all sound sources and the update may have changed that..

You may do better to ask on the Kubuntu forum about this. It's odd really as I
did try Kubuntu and it's official installs looked to be ok. Didn't load VLC
though. What put me off was the fact that I couldn't find a way of using the
root account.

John
Opensuse 11.4 KDE 4.6.0 - 6. (VLC 1.1.9 packman build for opensuse)

As an aside I altered vlc.desktop such that it notifies kde when it's starts up
just like kde apps do. The cone no longer bounces about for long after the app
has started.