No sound in Kubuntu 11.04

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sun May 29 22:42:33 BST 2011

Em quarta-feira 25 maio 2011, Duncan escreveu:
> Marcelo Magno T. Sales posted on Wed, 25 May 2011 21:14:00 -0300 as
>
> excerpted:
> > Thanks for your reply. I have the phonon-gstreamer backend
> > installed, but will try phonon-vlc as you have suggested. After a
> > few days I'll post the results (got to give some time to be sure
> > sound will not fail again, sometimes it lasts for a few days
> > before failing).
>
> Do try it, but FWIW, I have a bit of new information.
>
> Upon updating my Gentoo installation yesterday, there was a change in
> phonon's default USE flags, switching the default backend to phonon-
> gstreamer from I believe phonon-vlc.  Needless to say I kept the vlc
> backend as I don't even have gstreamer installed and don't want it
> installed. (In Gentoo, such options are controlled by USE flags set
> at the time the package is built, normally by the user since Gentoo
> is a scripted- from-source distribution, so keeping vlc simply meant
> overriding the USE flag defaults by setting the ones I wanted.)
>
> But the important bit, the new information, is that according to the
> gentoo package scripts changelog, from phonon 4.5.0, upstream kde is
> defaulting to the phonon-gstreamer backend.
>
> As I said in my original reply, that blog I read was about a year
> ago. It's possible they now favor the gstreamer backend now, thus
> making it the default, or it may simply be bowing to the the fact
> that so many distributions default to gnome and thus to gstreamer
> already.  I don't know.
>
> But, what I DO know for sure is my own experience, that the
> phonon-xine backend kept giving me messages about disappearing
> devices even tho it's the device on the mobo, and no, I did NOT
> change the BIOS to disable it, and that all those problems
> disappeared when I switched to phonon-vlc.  As I said I've never
> tried the phonon-gstreamer backend, and wasn't even aware that it
> had the disappearing devices problem too, but with luck, switching
> to phonon-vlc will cure the issue for you as well.
>
> Please do follow up when you're sure whether it's cured the problem
> or not, as I really am curious, especially now that I know you're
> using gstreamer AND know it's the kde default now.  As I said, I
> wasn't aware that the gstreamer backend had the problem too -- maybe
> it's just luck that the vlc backend works so much better for me?
>
> The other possibility of course is that it's version-dependent.
> Maybe phonon-gstreamer only matured with phonon 4.5, and perhaps
> you're running an earlier version?
>
> But in any case it's worth giving the phonon-vlc backend a try, since
> it did cure the problems I was having.  If it doesn't work any
> better, you can always try something else.

I've tried phonon-vlc backend for a few days and it indeed does not fail
as the gstreamer one does. However, KDE sound events play somewhat weird
with the vlc backend. So, I have to choose between system that sounds
ugly and another that sounds good, but only for a few hours before
muting completely. :(
I would like to try pulseaudio with the gstreamer backend (this was my
preferred output device in Kubuntu 10.04), but can't make it appear as
an output device. After I have installed all pulseaudio related
packages, pulseaudio is available as a capture device, but not as an
output device.
Any idea why?

Thanks,

Marcelo