Kaffeine and playing files from off the local network

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 08:31:59 BST 2011

I agree entirely about the sudo distro's. In many respects these look to be more
extreme than even windoze. Sudo is there to control what a sudoer can do and is
probably being used like that as well. Going on redhat a root user is also a
reason for charging significantly more for a desktop set up.

My disappointments mainly come from 2 aspects.

The paths I am trying to use do work on kde and do not require explicit mounting
and are extremely easy to set up but aren't allowed to work. There doesn't seem
to be any logical reason for this. The connection unlike samba etc which is
amazingly slow is also set up immediately and access is just like using a local
disc - again unlike samba the first time it's used from within an application.
Even working down a series if directories is amazingly slow at this point.

The other one relates to backends etc and ipv6. While nosing around on Vista I
found an interesting window that suggests that it's capable of determining for
it self just how usable ipv6 is and automatically selecting either ipv4 or 6 as
needed. It's not perfect as I set up an ipv6 dns service ip via my router and
it's using it for ipv4 and left the space for an ipv6 dns service blank. One
thing for sure though it's more ready than linux is where ok the kernel will do
either but that's it. Distro's are even sent out set up to use ipv6 by default..
Pointless given the number of available ipv6 servers. The main aspect here is
that windozeis  far more ipv6 ready than linux distro's are.

Basically the middle layer between the kernel and the desktop isn't functionally
evolving at all. All that is happing is different ways are being used to achieve
exactly the same thing. It's also possible to use the same argument against
desktops themselves.

John