Kaffeine and playing files from off the local network

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 10:26:40 BST 2011

Perhaps I am a little disappointed Duncan which is likely to affect my tone when
I write something like that. The reasons for my general feelings actually go a
lot further than just kde. Anyway on this specific point a desktop is very
dependent on it;'s underlying functionality. Most aim to be rolled out at an
enterprise level at some point. In this case there is an excellent improvement
added via dolphin but it can't really be used. Why goes back to that old kde bug
I posted earlier where it is stated that WE must know what paths and application
can use or words to that effect.. My reaction to that can be summed up with a
single word - really? I also wonder why it's there now even if it is needed.
It's just something else that can and has been broken.

Disappointed to too weak a word but as mentioned feelings like that in my case
do not just relate to kde but other aspects of linux as well. I have always
hoped that linux plus kde would become one of the major installations alongside
mac and windoze. It has lead the way in some respects in the past but now I feel
it is falling behind and in some areas, not kde, is showing strong signs of not
evolving at all where as windoze is.

I also assume that people do of course appreciate that home networks and even
nas's are increasingly popular even if they do not use them. These are also
fundamental to enterprise level use.

Over and out on this topic. I have filed a bug and live in hope that something
will be done about it. Trouble is I have a feeling that if it is fixed it might
end up to be like using oh so slow samba. From the system level set up routines
NFS connections will be like that as well. I would hope that the ability to
assign fixed ip address is retained. The lack of that elsewhere came as a bit of
a surprise.

;-) I've even looked at some kde code documentation. I would need more than I
could quickly find to make any use of it. As would most people I suspect.. Maybe
there are some overviews some where.

John