A week of KDE4 usage

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 17:17:39 BST 2011

I've been using opensuse 11.4 64bit for several weeks now. No real problems
but noted (kde 4.6.0 issue 6)

Kmail imported my 3.7 bookmarks and shows them but isn't using them for
filtering but is using them for auto complete. Bit odd. It seems to have
formed 2 address books. Not really looked at this more as am away from
home for a while.

Spell check does need enabling in kcontrol (system control) to function
in some places. Curious thing is that the spell checker is running all
of the time but doesn't highlight mistakes unless enabled. I see that
as a bug but devs don't seem to. To prove right click on a mistake
and corrections will be seen.

Have heard that kmail is slow in 4.x but I can't see why. Seems to
be just like it's much loved by many old self to me.

Haven't tried using a distribution list but this might relate to address book
peculiarities.

Kpackager area is unreliable. Words fail me here. Am now just
using yast.

One dolphin crash using a usb drive. Also reported one file as having
zero size on the same drive. I'm sure it does have size but need to
look again.

Desktop effect need a decent graphics card and none os driver in my
view. I use an nvidia 210 by assus. Not that expensive and for
me worth upgrading as I'm likely to get more life out of my 64bit
motherboard. I like the effects and if some don't well disable them.

People who spend all day long pounding a pc will notice that the
file indexing still takes too long to get out of the way. Of late I
am wondering if I am actually disabling it. Better than the 3.x
dog thing but only just.

Think I have seen instances where kfind found files and later
didn't. Also feel that it needs more control on search directories.
Some of mine will have 30gb+ of data files in them and I know
where they are and seldom need to search them.

Wish I could say the same about 32bit but can't. This may be down
to the use of an nvidia driver but also had problems when using nv.
Missed mouse clicks and freezing for rather long periods.

Konq has a checkbox for open folders in a new window but it
doesn't do anything. Some one else's problem not mine but
as some people do use this I intend to check the lot. Also
wish that it still had the camera view. You see I do have folders
with a mix of files in them so a distinct viewer is by no means
ideal. It's also very me to - windoze.

I have often told windoze users to try linux plus kde. Not so
sure now apart from kubuntu maybe but that's not for me.
Opensuse currently seems to have returned to it's niche but
who know where and when it will go with 4.7.

Seen sudo comments about. In my case I am either me
or su/root and in more controlled environments do anything
sudo is a rather questionable. Frankly other than where
it is controlled I can't see any real need for it. My advice for
people that have gnomed and ununtiu'd for ages using it is
to give the safer alternative a chance. That was easy on most
gnome disto's but is a no  no on kubuntu. Root's been hijacked.

John