A week of KDE4 usage

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 10 22:49:38 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Tue, 10 May 2011 22:48:36 +0200 as excerpted:

> Actually, I'm quite okay with kmail, although there's some more
> problems. Sometimes it shows new mails in my IMAP inbox that I already
> deleted, the solution is to log into my mail server, start mutt, and let
> it purge these mails. It also hangs sometimes, especially if my IP had
> changed, but that's not always the case. I close it, and if it doesn't
> restart because there's still a hanging kontact process, I kill it. And
> I avoid to delete IMAP folders, or I navigate really quickly out of the
> folder, because if not kmail will crash. And I really would like to use
> multiple tabs, but when other tabs are open, mail in those folders is
> not being checked. Umm,
> actually that's a lot of bugs. Maybe you are right, but I got used to
> Kmail, and I tend to prefer the KDE application over other alternatives.

IMAP has always been a challenge for kmail, unfortunately.  It may be that
it was designed for POP3 and the like first, and IMAP3 support was added,
but by that time, kmail's code had calcified to the point that IMAP3
support never really fit and always had bugs.

kmail2 /should/ be better in that regard, both because it's a whole new
rewrite obviously with IMAP in mind, and because it's far more modular and
should be easier to code and debug as a result.  But as we've already
discussed, current kmail is stuck in limboland ATM, while kmail2 gets the
bugs (including in the conversion scripts) worked out.  I'm hopeful that
kmail2 and an updated kdepim will come with 4.7, and be worth the wait.
=:^)  Time will tell.