A week of KDE4 usage

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 12 10:15:19 BST 2011

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 23:27:50 Alex Schuster wrote:
> I think it's my Radeon HD3200, which is not supported as well as newer
> chipsets. I already thought about replacing my on-board graohics with
> another graphics card. Most problems only show up in KDE4, but this may
> be because I do not use much compositing and such in other window
> managers, and I do not use them often.

Even very recent cards (at the time) had problems with KDE 4, and it wasn't
KDE's fault.  The problem was that KDE 4 (KWin, I think) used some calls to
the cards that were theoretically supported, but in practice no-one was
actually using them.  The result was that the card manufacturers were
completely taken by surprise at the problems that surfaced.  There was a lot
of immediate work done by all the main card manufacturers to deal with that,
as it was recognised that more and more applications on all OSs were likely to
need them.

I have run KDE 4 on a badly supported card, and the problems were really bad.
If you can do something about upgrading your card I'd certainly recommend it.

Anne