Various Kmail paths?

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 10:34:10 BST 2011

Think I have sorted this out now. My concern was that I couldn't see my

emails - just one of them. I've imported them and then re arranged, intending to
keep some and discard the rest. Confused by the fact that dolphin doesn't retain
it's view setting so wasn't showing hidden files or more importantly hidden
directories.
Now fixed as I have selected common view and added the show hidden files button.

For some reason sub folders of inbox are in a hidden directory as are some of
the
KMail-Import folders. On open suse 10.3 "kde 3.can't remember" this seems to
have
caused copying problems so lots of my mail wasn't there to be imported when I
upgraded. I solved that by re installing my old installation and taring the
entire mail
directory. ;-) Didn't reduce the size by much if any but did catch all of the
contents.

Must ask the devs why some mail directories are hidden and others aren't? Surely
the
sensible option would be to hide the ~kde directory and none of the ones below
or at
least be consistent and hide all rather than just a few of them.

On the directories themselves all is available via a right click on particular
folders under
properties.

Backing up the entire home directory may not be a good idea is some cases as kde
local settings are in there as well and these will be retained when the system
is re installed.
Or at least they will be on opensuse. The only install option is to format the
home partition
or leave it alone. Providing the user names and passwords are the same on the
new install
everything is usually retained. Did loose the emails once though going from
32bit to 64.

John
OpenSuse 11.4 Kde 4.6.0 release 6