Keyboard shortcut for opening context menu?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 3 22:50:46 BST 2011

Jörg von Frantzius posted on Tue, 03 May 2011 22:43:36 +0200 as excerpted:

> while, I can't find any shortcut definable for opening the context
> Dolphin and have a file selected, how can I open the context menu via a
> short-cut?</div>
> this really missing in KDE?</div><div><br

Please fix your client.  It's spitting HTML, which is:

(1) Unnecessary. (If the content's worth reading, it's worth sending in
plain text.)

(2) A security issue.  (Malware authors exploit holes in it.)

(3) A privacy issue.  (Those who wish to track readers exploit web bugs.)

(4) A content obfucator. (Spammers use various tricks to hide both the
junk they often include to throw off the filters and to deceive people
into thinking links go to one place when they go someplace else entirely.)

(5) Ugly.  (Those who choose to avoid the issues above by using clients
that don't parse the HTML thus not exposing themselves to the risks, end
up staring at raw HTML.)

As I said in point 1, if the content's worth reading, it's worth sending
in plain text.  Never-the-less, it's not unusual for people who don't
normally send HTML to have to be asked again to stop, when the their mail-
client/webmail-provider (webmail providers are infamous for this) switches
the defaults on them, so it's not always deliberate and I recognize that
fact.  Just... please change it.

To your question:  I don't have a direct answer, and agree it's a problem
as if there's a setting for that, it's quite unintuitive to find.  But I
do have a sort-of work-around.

In kcontrol[1][2] , hardware, input devices, mouse, the mouse navigation
tab allows you the option of keyboard mouse emulation.  Specifically, the
checkbox is "move pointer with keyboard (using the numpad)".  You can then
configure acceleration, etc, for the emulation, there.

With that option on, the 5 key emulates a mouse-click.  The /*- keys
change which button gets clicked by the 5, left/middle/right respectively
(the order on the keypad), while the + emulates a double-click, the 0 a
drag-lock, and the . a drag-release, all of the selected button.  (This
information can be found by clicking the help button.)

That does allow you to use the keyboard to get a context menu (use the
number keys to navigate the pointer to the appropriate location, hit - to
switch to the right button, hit 5 to click it), but it's a rather
laborious process, much more a workaround than a proper solution.  One
would /think/ that kde would have a simple option to set a keyboard
shortcut to trigger the context menu, but if they do, neither you nor I
seem to be able to find it.

[Footnotes]

[1] Kcontrol: AKA systemsettings in kde4.  Despite the fact that this app
is mostly user specific kde settings that have little to do with global
settings which would apply equally to other users in gnome or at the
command prompt, for instance, and even where it /is/ global settings, it's
the kde-specific tool for controlling them not the generic one, so the kde3
term kcontrol remains *FAR* more accurate, the kde4 devs apparently
decided the impossibly generic systemsettings was what they were going to
call it in kde4.  I continue to use the more accurate term, kcontrol, in
my posts.

[2] The described kcontrol location is for kde 4.5 and above.  kcontrol's
layout was reorganized for 4.5, so those still on legacy 4.4 and previous
will likely have to look around a bit for it.