How to set up Menu items such that if an instance is already running, the running instance is brought to the foreground?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 14:07:56 GMT 2011

I have two separate cases where seniors using KDE like to open many
instances of the same application rather than use the already-open
application. This is a user problem, not a KDE problem, but I wonder
if there is  technical solution.

These users click the application's menu item to start using the
application, even if there is already an open instance in the Taskbar
or in the System Tray. Examples include Firefox, Skype, Solitaire
(Windows executable running in Wine), and some others. Therefore, I'd
like to write a wrapper script for each of these apps to check if
there exists a running instance. If not, then open the application. If
yes, then bring the running application to the foreground.

Can this be done? I could probably grep "ps aux" for the application
and to get it's pid, but how to bring it to the foreground? Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com